Saturday, December 24, 2011

30+ Days of Giving Thanks, Day 54 (Christmas Eve): the Incarnation

Christmas Eve…those words carry a special thrill and meaning all of their own. As a child, of course, they meant mainly one thing…”Santa Claus Is Comin’ Tonight!” Last minute shopping, wrapping, baking…these things were all part of my Christmas Eve experiences, whether personally or watching my parents and others frantically working to get everything done.

In my adult years, while all of those things still fill my Christmas Eve experiences, the most important feature of my Christmas Eve is the church service. The candlelight, the music, the full sanctuary, the “passing the light” candle ceremony, singing “Silent Night”—these are the things that mean the most to me now.

On this Christmas Eve, I want to say “Thank You” to God for this miracle: the Incarnation. “The Word [God the Son] was made Flesh [Jesus the infant] and dwelt among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14, Authorized Version, with emphasis and clarifications added.) It was unexpected. It was unheard of and unlooked for. It was a complete surprise, and some people are just now getting it. It was perfect.

No comments: