Wednesday, November 30, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 30: Influencers

Today, on this last day of the original challenge/exercise, I am expressing my thanks to God for all of the men and women that He has used in my life to influence me over the past 50 years. Some have been in my life the entire time, and others have passed through more quickly. Still others simply brushed past me and jostled me as we passed.

I have in mind today those who were, have been, and are “live” players in my life, including mentors, teachers, leaders, and friends whose voice I have heard and whose touch I have felt. I am also thinking, however, of those who have stirred me without knowing it. Some, even, have influenced me even after they have departed this life. Not in some eerie, ghostlike phantasm but in the form of the words that they left behind, written down on pages for anyone to read.

“No man is an island,” John Donne said. The man that I am today, and the man that I shall become, has been and is being shaped and fashioned by a host of influencers. It is quite likely that, if you are reading this, to have been, you are, and/or you will be one of the influencers in my life. Thank you, and thanks be to God for you.

No comments: