Sunday, November 13, 2011

Not "Amen" But "Over"

I recently began replacing the word "Amen" at the end of my prayer with the word "Over." It's not a frivolous affectation, it is intentional, and here is the intention.

"Amen" means "let it be so", and that's a great way to agree with, or finish, a prayer. There's nothing wrong with that, so don't worry, my Amen-saying reader. I'm not scoffing at you or telling you that you're "doing it wrong." I've just begun to think about my communication with Our Heavenly Father in a slightly different way.

It comes from my military training, and particularly, radio communication. In the Army there is a strictly-observed chain of command. It's necessary and important, because in a life-and-death situation, there must be no hesitation. In remote communication by radio, this chain of command is still present.

In the "etiquette" of radio communication, the "subordinate" communicates with the "superior", relays his/her message, and then says "Over." This indicates that the sender is finished speaking, AND IS WAITING FOR A REPLY, AND POSSIBLY INSTRUCTIONS OR ORDERS, from the superior on the other end of the radio communication. The subordinate, or junior, does not say "Over and Out" or "Out", because "Out" means that the conversation has ended and the speaker does not intend to listen for any further response. It is the privilege and prerogative of the superior, or senior, to decide whether the conversation has ended.

So, when I pray, I am in the position of the subordinate, the junior, the supplicant. When I say "Amen" I signal that my prayer is concluded, and the conversation has ended. However, I am persuaded that prayer is to be "without ceasing", so "Amen" seems to me somehow out of place. I have begun thinking of my prayer as an ongoing conversation, punctuated by my word "Over" to indicate that my transmission is ended for now, but I remain "on the line" waiting for a response from my "Higher Headquarters". That response may contain an answer to my request, or it may contain "orders" or instructions, or clarification of previous orders. In any event, I want to make sure that at all times I am listening for the Commander's message.

Over.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Love this Dennis! Over;)

Loretta said...

Love this Dennis! Over ;)