Friday, November 25, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 25: God's Faithful Provision

Today, the day AFTER Thanksgiving here, I am thankful for God faithfully providing for my needs, as He promised to do, and as He has done for me all the days of my life. He has been providing for the needs of His people since the Garden of Eden.

As I child I learned this song, and it plays on my mind's "iPod" frequently (the recording is of poor quality, and the artist performing it is amateurish and "pitchy", but the song is a good one even so):

"He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
The wealth in every mine;
He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
The sun and stars that shine;
Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell,
He is my Father--so they're mine as well!
He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
I know that He will care for me!"

Jesus taught that God counts us as more valuable than the birds of the air, and if He feeds them, He's sure to take care of us! Likewise, the lilies of the field. (Matthew 6:25-34). He goes on to assure us that our Father in heaven gives good gifts to those who ask Him (Matthew 7:11)

The Apostle Paul both knew and expressed this confidence in God in a most unmistakeable way. In his letter to Christians living in and around Philippi, he wrote "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" and "my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:13, 19). Now I realize that many people say that the Bible is "open to interpretation" and "hard and mysterious to understand" but it is nearly impossible to mistake or misunderstand Paul's words here. 

Now, lest I be accused of being "preachy" let me just say this and be done: these are the promises of God that give me confidence in the ongoing care of and provision for me by my Heavenly Father. Though He does not need to impress me or to prove anything to me, nevertheless: I am impressed and He has proven Himself both powerful and faithful.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for taking care of me and providing for my needs, and even many of the things in life that I want, but don't need.

No comments: