Friday, November 11, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 11: Veterans

Today is November 11, or Veterans Day in the United States. I am a veteran so I suppose that makes me a little more attuned to the importance of saying thanks to all the veterans that I know. Already last night someone messaged me, thanking me for my service. It brings a warmth to my soul when someone does that!

As with many families that have several generations here in the United States, my family has a long legacy of honorable military service. This year, I visited Gettysburg for the first time in my life. I have a great-grandfather who was wounded there. Of course, I didn't know him, but now I know a little about him.

Closer to me, though, are many vets. My father and his brother were both World War II vets--my father in the Army and my uncle (I think) in the Navy. I had a second cousin who was killed in Vietnam. I chose to enlist and was in the Army during Desert Storm (though I was never sent to that Theater of Operations). I had the honor of serving in the Berlin Brigade and was a witness to the Berlin Wall coming down. Had I not been in the Army at that time, I would not have had that experience!

Now, two of my sons have served in the Army, and one continues to serve today. Ryan did a tour in Iraq a few years ago, and, by the grace of God, came home physically unharmed. Matt is just one year into his enlistment, and is doing well. I am proud of their decision to put on the uniform, and thankful for their service.

I also am thankful for the service my brother-in-law, John Vaughan, has rendered our country in uniform. He is another Desert Storm-era vet, and his career extended also into the current conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is retired now, having served more than 20 years in uniform.

There are more veterans in our family and in my church family, as well. Bud Hyde, my mother-in-law's husband, went into the Navy at the very end of World War II and was assigned as a gunner on board an Aircraft Carrier. Kelly's father, Richard Haney, was in the Air Force. From our church family, Eliseo Ortiz is a Vietnam vet who continues to this day to be actively involved in working with Disabled American Veterans, and serves as the Chaplain for his post of the D.A.V. Herb Waldenmaier is also a veteran. Nicole Brown and Lakisa White are both veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and both continue to serve in their Reserve units today.
My niece's husband Peter Lopez, a Marine, is on his third (I think) tour in Afghanistan. My sister-in-law Chris' brother Steven Evans is in the United States now but has also done several tours in Iraq & Afghanistan. Steven Bastidas, a Marine from our church, is nearing the end of his first tour in Afghanistan. Moet Valdez, a sailor from our church, is serving out on the West Coast.

Still more vets are friends and acquaintances from various times in my life. Two come to mind: Steve Bates was my college roommate and lifelong friend. He served in the Army for a while. Chip Dickens was in Berlin with me and we met in church. We have remained friends since, though see each other only very rarely.

I am sure that I have missed mentioning some veterans by name, and I apologize in advance for that. I am thankful for all of our veterans and want to honor you and show respect for your service. I appreciate you and thank God for your courage, your patriotism, and your selflessness.

No comments: