Friday, November 25, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving, Days 1-9 redux

I originally wrote the first 9 days of this exercise as Facebook status updates. As the project continued, I found that I was putting more imagination into each entry, and decided to transfer to this blog. This blog is also available to a wider readership, to wit: those who are not my Facebook friends.
Here, then, is a redux of my first nine days of giving thanks:

Day 1: My wife
I've been invited to participate in an event called "30 Days of Thanksgiving", in which I will post one thing each day for which I am thankful. I am going to copy it on my status as well, in order to bear witness also to those who are not already in that group event. Today I am thankful for my wife of 28+ years, the lovely and talented Kelly Haney Ashley, whose faithful and unconditional love for me for all these years has helped to shape the person I am today, and she's still got a tough row to hoe!


 

Day 2: My son Derrin
It is Day 2 of my 30 Days of Thanksgiving. Today I am thankful for my firstborn son, @Derrin Ashley. I am thankful and proud for the man he has become--worthy of respect as a husband, father and friend. I am thankful that he chose well when he chose @Katrina Martin Ashley to be his wife; and I am thankful for his new job.

Day 3: My son Ryan
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 3: Today I am thankful for my son Ryan Ashley, the kid I used to call "Sunshine Boy". I'm thankful for his many gifts and talents and for the ways in which he shares them with us. He is a great son and a faithful friend, and, like his brothers, fiercely loyal to his family.

Day 4: My son Matthew
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 4: anyone reading these could have predicted today's entry: I am thankful for our youngest son, Matthew Ashley. His many and varied talents, his quick wit (never cut in half), and his generous heart are among the many things about Matt that come to mind.
Day 5: My daughter-in-law Katrina
‎30 days of Thanks, Day 5: in 2010, God gave Kelly and I a gift that has thus far been denied us: a daughter. Never mind the "-in-law" designator...Katrina Martin Ashley is a blessing to our family. She is a great wife, and now, a wonderful mother.







Day 6: My grandson Elijah Judson (Eli) Ashley
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 6: today I express thanks for my new grandson, Elijah Judson Ashley, born 10/18/2011. Just when I thought things were pretty good...well, things suddenly got way better! I am looking forward to watching Eli grow up, and watching his daddy grow into that job, too.



Day 7: my parents Robert Judson Ashley and Shirley Mae (Shaver) Ashley
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 7: today I am thinking about my parents, Robert and Shirley (Shaver) Ashley, both now with the Lord. They filled our home and family with love and with laughter, and taught us that happiness does not consist in THÏNGS. They taught me to love God and to love those whom God loves. They taught me to be generous with praise and stingy with criticism. Their laughter still rings in my soul, and their example still guides my actions and choices today.

Day 8: my brothers and sisters
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 8: today I am thankful for my siblings (from oldest to youngest): Daniel Jerry Ashley (now with the Lord), Don Ashley, Douglas Ashley, Debbie Ashley Vaughan, and Dale Ashley. These brothers and sisters have encouraged me, cheered for me, challenged me, and loved me. They are not ONLY my family; they are also my friends.

Day 9: my in-laws
‎30 Days of Thanksgiving, Day 9: today, I want to express my thanks for the "in-laws" in my life: my Mother-in-Law Marjorie Fletcher Haney Hyde, her husband Bud Hyde, and then, my sister-in-law Grayce Shell Ashley, my brother-in-law John Vaughan, my brother-in-law Mike Haney and sister-in-law Kym Ferguson-Haney, my brother-in-law Dennis Haney and sister-in-law Chris Evans Haney, and my brother-in-...law Todd Haney and sister-in-law Noelle Haney. For good measure, I'll mention my daughter-in-law Katrina Martin Ashley again. There are three ways to become a part of any family: by birth, by adoption, and by marriage. I'm in favor of dropping the "in-law" designation altogether, for there is no distinction in my mind.

No comments: