Monday, April 6, 2020

Is Easter Cancelled?

NEW! Now you can listen to the author read this essay by clicking the link here: Is Easter Cancelled? read by the author, The Scrawling Shepherd


Is Easter cancelled?

I saw this question earlier today on a friend's Facebook post. It may have been just a rhetorical question, or it may have been a request for information about a specific event planned or scheduled by or for a specific church or group. It doesn't matter. I saw that question, and that was all it took to send my mind galloping through the array of dictionaries, thesauruses (thesaurii?) and textbooks to write this, my next article.

Is Easter cancelled this year because we're all confined to quarters? On quarantine? Maintaining safe social distancing? If churches are still closed, how can we celebrate Easter? Oh, the pretty new Easter dresses for Mother and daughters; the new bow ties and pastel colored clothing for all the family...alas, what can we do?

My dear wife is groaning at the thought of not being able to have the family together after Church on Sunday for Easter Feast. Secretly I'm thinking "that's more ham and deviled eggs for me." (Side note: why are they called "deviled eggs?" and why in the world do we think of them as part of the Easter feast? Is it because we consume deviled eggs in symbolic demonstration of Jesus consuming the Devil's hold on us? Hmmm...I think I'll go with that.)

So, is Easter really cancelled? HAH! Not hardly. We cannot cancel Easter. It's not an event. It's just something that we celebrate each year about an event that already happened. No, not an event. THE event. The most important, significant, incredible, amazing, miraculous occurrence in the whole of the history of everything that was, is, or ever will be. The resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth, who was and is known to be both Lord and Christ, is the pivotal moment in time. It did and does change everything.

And, when it comes down to it, even if not one single person on earth uttered one single word about Easter on this coming April 12; if no one says "He is Risen!" and if no one answers back "He is Risen indeed!", it won't matter. If not a single person turns to hymn #216 and sings "Up from the grave He arose with a mighty triumph o'er His foes,", or #217 "Christ the Lord is ris'n today, a-a-a-a-a-le-lu-ia", or even #213 "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow..." or #220 "You ask me how I know He lives...He LIVES within my heart!". Even if none of those things happen this coming Sunday, well, He is risen, just the same.

If not one of those things would happen, well, it wouldn't change anything. Easter is not cancelled. The resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ happened, and nothing can or will ever overturn that truth.

We're going to observe Holy Week in the best ways we can figure out, in spite of our current "handicaps." Our home group plans to gather via video conference to mark Good Friday together. Our church family will worship together on Resurrection Sunday morning from our living rooms. I know I'll be singing at the top of my lungs. You won't hear me from your house (except Kelly. Kelly, if you're reading this, then yes. You WILL hear me there at your house.) but God is going to hear my voice on Easter. He IS risen! He IS risen--INDEED!

Here's a couple of people who agree:

Rise Again, by Dallas Holm

What a Beautiful Name by Hillsong

Happy Easter, friends!

No comments: